Frequently Asked Questions

Should I apply for financial aid even if I don’t feel that I qualify?
Yes! Students are often surprised to find out that they do qualify for aid even when they were convinced they wouldn’t qualify. If you don’t try you will never know. Not to mention, you could be missing out on money you are eligible to receive. You must complete a FAFSA to receive student loans. So apply, it is worth the process and you may be pleasantly surprised!

What if I only attend school part-time? Can I still receive financial aid?
There is no minimum amount of credits you need to take to qualify for financial aid. Your award amount will reflect the number of credits being taken though.

I haven’t applied/decided on a school. Can I still apply for aid?
You can apply anytime after January 1st. However, in order to actually receive your financial aid award you will need to be enrolled at a college or university.

Will I have to apply for financial aid again next year?
Absolutely, you need to apply year after year. You may be eligible for more or less money based on your financial circumstances. Not to worry, a Renewal Application will make this process faster. Renewal also depends on satisfactory academic progress towards your degree.

If I decide on a leave of absence, when will repayment begin?
For Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans you will have a six month grace period and for Perkins a nine month grace period.

Are my parents responsible for my loans?
No, your loans are your loans and they are your responsibility. The only loans your parents are responsible for are Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

I received a scholarship from an outside source. Do I need to report it with my financial aid?
Absolutely, you must report any form of aid you receive to the financial aid office, including university or government aid.

Can my work-study money be taxed?
The money you earn from Federal Work-Study will be subject to federal and state income tax.

How does financial aid work with divorced, separated, or step parents?
With divorce or separated parents, FAFSA should be completed by the parent whom the student has lived with the majority of the time in the past year. If you feel you have a special circumstance, contact one of our Financial Aid Consultants.

Should I apply to colleges that are more expensive than I think I can afford?
You should NOT rule out a college until you consider the financial aid award you will receive. Your expected family contribution will remain the same regardless of the cost of a particular school. If a school meets your standards and you believe you will be able to launch the career of your dreams, this may be an investment worth making.